The red telephone kiosk was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott at the request of the Post Office in 1924. (Gilbert Scott also designed Waterloo Bridge and Battersea Power Station.)
Two different telephone boxes are seen in London.
The first telephone kiosk was known as the K2 - the K stands for "kiosk".
Too expensive for national use, the K2 was produced exclusively for the London area.
The royal emblem of the crown was made by pierecing holes through the top facia.
This acted as a ventilator.
All K2 kiosks now on the street are preserved as Listed buildings.
Designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of King George the Fifth in 1935 the K6 kiosk was the first to be installed across the country. The K6 is smaller than the K2
Black Telephone Boxes (kiosks)
A K6 design used by one of the new telecoms operators. (Red telephone boxes are owned and run by British Telecon)
Internet Telehone Boxes (kiosks)
BT introduced KXPlus in the late 1990's. It has a domed roof.